Saturday, January 2, 2021

Ohio Reptiles and Amphibians, 2020 retrospective

2020 is finally over. It has been a rough year for all of us. The one good thing about 2020 was more time to go herping. Not being able to travel forced me to focus on my local area more than I would have in a normal year. I was lucky enough to see some really amazing things.

This is not a comprehensive look at all the herps I saw this year (not by a long shot), but it does include photos of my most notable finds. Enjoy!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

The first Ohio herp of the year was this big adult spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) found on a rainy night on February 4.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I travelled to southwestern Ohio on February 22 to meet with my friends Aaron Crank and Mike Wilhelm. We managed to turn up this large streamside salamander (Ambystoma barbouri) in a frozen creek under a rock.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Aaron flipped the rock where we had found the streamside salamander to reveal this. A clutch of two dozen or so eggs!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another shot of the mother with her clutch.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

During this same trip we travelled to another location where Aaron managed to find this adult northern spring salamander (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus) and several spring larvae. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

On February 24, I tried my luck at trapping common mudpuppies (Necturus maculosus). On the very first night of trapping I managed to trap four individuals!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Here is a closer look at the head and gills.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

That night, I went out in the rain to look for migrating salamanders. I found this Jefferson salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

On March 3, I found two wood frogs (Lithobates silvatica) in amplexus. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

The next day, I tried this experimental shot of a wood frog with its eggs.

Ryan Wagner reptiles


On March 5, the eastern gartersnakes (Thamnophis sirtalis) were out at the hibernaculum on campus. This is a large female. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 9, a northern spring salamander (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus) I found during an afternoon of stream dip netting. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 18, Carl Brune and I went road cruising on this rainy evening. The mountain chorus frogs (Psuedacris brachyphona) were in full chorus.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Carl spotted something orange-red in the headlights and knew right away what it was. A northern spring salamander (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

This was something of a surprise. The only Ambystoma we found was a chunky marbled salamander (Ambystoma opacum) wriggling across the road. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 19, I went north to look for late season Tiger Salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum). This was the only individual I found.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Western chorus frogs (Psuedacris triseriata) were in abundance.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

As were the ubiquitous spring peeper (Psuedacris crucifer).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I was lucky enough to see 6 adult midland mud salamanders (Psuedotriton montanus diastictus) on March 24th and close to 20 mud larvae. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another Mud.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

And another.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

The same day, I found a male five-lined skink (Plestiodon fasciatus) wedged in a rock crevice.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Here is a better look. I wondered for a time if this was my first Broad-headed Skink (Plestiodon laticeps), but closer inspection of the scales revealed otherwise.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 26, A male mountain chorus frog floats near an egg mass.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A particularly good-looking northern dusky salamander (Desmognathus fuscus)

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 28, I found this handsome, juvenile Kirtland's snake (Clonophis kirtlandii) in southwestern Ohio.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 29, a recently emerged eastern fence lizard (Sceloporus undulatus)

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another angle of the fence lizard.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I also found these amplexing American toads (Anaxyrus americanus) in the process of laying eggs.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

March 30, I found this mother four toed salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum) guarding her recently deposited eggs.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A belly shot of a four toed salamander.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 2, I found these little floofs sitting on a backroad. These are newly-hatched American woodcocks. The babies blend in with the dirt and rocks and stay just as still. The mother, meanwhile, tried to lure me away with a broken wing display. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A very weird but cool-looking bird species.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Later in the day, I found three midland mud salamanders (Psuedotriton montanus diastictus)  in a small seepage. This was the largest of the three.

Ryan Wagner reptiles


Nearby, in the main stream channel, I found this southern two-lined salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) with eggs. 
Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 3, a clear example of a spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) egg mass.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

An opaque example of a spotted salamander egg mass.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 4, an eastern worm snake (Carphophus amoenus) found beneath a rock with Carl Brune.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 6, a Blanchard's cricket frog (Acris blanchardi) found near a large, open pond with Carl Brune and Aaron Crank.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 12, a large, eastern black kingsnake (Lampropeltus nigra) found under cover in a powerline clearing with Carl Brune. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 13, Julia Joos and I found this large northern red salamander (Psuedotriton ruber) on a rainy backroad. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Cope's gray treefrogs (Hyla chrysoscelis) were out as well. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Large numbers of juvenile long-tailed salamanders (Eurycea longicauda) were crossing the road.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 20, Aaron Crank, Carl Brune, and I had a great mud salamander day. We found five large adults and one larvae!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another mud salamander adult.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 25, Carl Brune nicknamed this box turtle we found "Ol' Cheeto head."

Ryan Wagner reptiles

April 29, a northern ring-necked snake (Diadiphis punctatus) found beneath one of my boards.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

That evening, I found this northern red salamander (Psuedotriton ruber) on a rainy backroad.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 1, Mike Wilhelm, Aaron Crank, and I met in extreme southwestern Ohio to look for the state endangered cave salamander (Eurycea lucifuga). We easily found nine individuals!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A small juvenile cave salamander. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another adult. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A red-backed salamander (Plethodon cinereus) with an interesting gold back.

european wall lizard ohio

We also saw lots of these introduced European wall lizards (Podarcis muralis).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 4, Aaron Crank, Ethan Slusher, and I found this ground skink (Scincella lateralis). This is my first Ohio ground skink and leaves me with just one more lizard species to see in the state.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Aaron flipped this little copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) under a nearby rock slab.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

As we parked along the road at another location, this large black ratsnake (Pantherophis spiloides) slithered into the woods.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

We made a quick stop at a nearby pond where Aaron snagged this pretty common musk turtle (Sternotherus odoratus).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Ethan made the best discovery of the day. As Aaron and I were each looking at an eastern milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum), we heard Ethan call from down the trail, "Broad-head skink!" I don't think I have ever run so fast. Ethan had a big lizard pinned under a piece of tin. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Together, we were able to corral and catch the skink (Plestiodon laticeps). It measured ten inches and was the final lizard each of us needed to see in the state.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 7, I made one of my favorite discoveries of the year. A juvenile timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus). 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

This is likely last year's hatchling. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

The rattle is just a single button.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another exciting find that day was a juvenile red-bellied snake (Storeria occipitomaculata).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

You can see here where they get their name.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 9, Carl Brune, Aaron Crank, and I decided to look for the locally rare eastern ribbon snake (Thamnophis sauritus). After seemingly striking out, I managed to snag this large individual as it shot through the grass.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 12, I often neglect to photograph the common species, so I decided to take some time to get a shot of this young black racer (Coluber constrictor).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 14, a Kirtland's snake (Clonophis kirtlandii) sitting on top of its crayfish burrow.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A DeKay's snake (Storeria dekayi) found in an old field. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 17, Carl Brune and I met up for some social distance herping. We found this northern water snake (Nerodia sipedon) that had this interesting orange shade on the upper half of its body.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

An attractive eastern milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A good-looking eastern black kingsnake (Lampropeltis nigra).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 20, rain brought the eastern spadefoots (Scaphiopus holbrookii) out!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

An amplexing pair of spadefoots.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Another.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

And another. This one is more purple 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I just can't get enough of these state endangered frogs.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 23, I headed out to southwestern Ohio to do some herping with Mike Wilhelm, Aaron Ambos, Jason Bracken, and Dean Alessandrini. Mike turned up this beautiful halloween-colored eastern hog-nosed snake (Heterodon platyrhinos).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

And then he found this little juvenile eastern hog.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Later that day, Mike and I went to some of his old stomping grounds. He managed to find two Kirtland's snakes (Clonophis kirtlandii) under a log.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 24, my friend Sara Lennert texted me about a snake she found. It was this large, dark-colored eastern hog-nosed snake. I rushed over to see it for myself.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

The next day, I returned to the location and found this juvenile hog basking near a pond.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

It played dead.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 25, a brightly colored eastern milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum) found beneath a piece of tin.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 26, one of the largest black ratsnakes (Pantherophis spiloides) I have ever seen. Probably close to six feet.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 28, a little eastern musk turtle (Sternotherus odoratus) I found crossing the road between two wetlands. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A little black ratsnake (Pantherophis spiloides) found crossing the road.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) found under a piece of trash.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 29, one of the best sights in the world when hiking rocky hillsides. Sadly, this large adult timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) had a bad case of snake fungal disease.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

May 30, Carl Brune and I flipped this smooth earthsnake (Virginia valeriae) beneath an old carpet.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I found this stunning copperhead out on the crawl. 

copperhead ohio

This is probably the best looking copperhead I have ever seen.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Our very last stop of the day revealed this stunner of an eastern hog-nosed snake (Heterodon platyrhinos). I love its golden and black markings.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

June 12, Carl flipped this tiny, hatchling eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina) under a board. Out of the hundreds of box turtles I have seen, this is my first hatchling. Carl has only seen one other in 20 years of herping in Ohio.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

June 19, a trip with Aaron Crank to the only place in Ohio where plains gartersnake (Thamnophis radix) can be found resulted in this nice specimen. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

June 24, Carl Brune and I found this eastern black kingsnake (Lampropeltis nigra) beneath a slab of astroturf. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

June 26, I joined Andrew Hoffman and John Buffington during their timber rattlesnake research.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Here they extract a small blood sample before letting the snake go on its way.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 1, a red-bellied snake (Storeria occipitomaculata) cruised just after dark.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

A Fowler's toad (Anaxyrus fowleri). 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Whip-poor-wills were calling from the road.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 3, not a herp, but still one of the coolest things I got to see this year. My friend Aaron Crank knows a spot where wild gray foxes can be easily seen.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

They even had their kits with them.

gray fox ohio

We saw five adults and four kits in the span of a few hours.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 6, a juvenile timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) found while cruising a dusty back road.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 11, the last turtle species I needed to see in Ohio, the ouachita map turtle (Graptemys ouachitensis). The turtle on the right is a northern map turtle (Graptemys geographica).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 18, a large female ouachita map turtle (Graptemys ouachitensis).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 26, a large female eastern spiny softshell (Apalone spinifera).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

July 29, a copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) found while cruising a dark back road.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

August 2, Carl Brune and I cruised this rough greensnake (Opheodrys aestivus) while out herping one warm afternoon. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

August 7, Carl and I stumbled upon this very unexpected turtle. It appears to be a three-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). This subspecies ranges from Montana to Texas and south central Alabama. What it is doing in Ohio is a mystery. It may be a released pet.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

August 8, a copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) that I road cruised one evening.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

August 23, Carl and I found this juvenile common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) in a water-filled pothole on a ridge top. It was very yellow in coloration. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

September 24, a queensnake (Regina septemvittata) found near a stream in central Ohio.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

October 4, Carl and I found this dark-colored green salamander (Aneides aeneus).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Carl spotted this little rough greensnake (Opheodrys aestivus) crossing the road on the way back to the vehicles. 

Carl Brune and Ryan Wagner

Good memories. Carl Brune and myself after a long day of herping. Here's to doing it all again in 2021.

smooth greensnake ohio

October 8, while helping my lab with a research project, we were lucky enough to find this smooth greensnake (Ophedodrys vernalis). A first for me!

Ryan Wagner reptiles

October 14, a neonate eastern massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus).

Ryan Wagner reptiles

October 18, an eight red salamander day! 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I found five huddled together beneath one piece of cover in a spring.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

These salamanders are some of the prettiest in the state.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

December 9, winter is here when the snow arrives. Snowy owls that is. 

Ryan Wagner reptiles

Dec 10, now that it is winter, my master's project field work has begun. I am studying a population of common mudpuppies (Necturus maculosus) in central Ohio.

Ryan Wagner reptiles

I am not sure how I got to work on the one herp species that is actually more active in winter. . .

Ryan Wagner reptiles

But they are fast growing on me. Grad school eats up a lot of time so I haven't had a chance to write about my project much on the blog. Hopefully there will be much more to come in 2021!

Thanks for reading,
RBW

2 comments:

  1. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Mandaiker cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Mandaiker and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Mandaiker that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Mandaiker Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Mandaiker is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On: Email:witchhealing@outlook.com/ you can visit his website: holyaraminta.com . He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, are you looking for Buy Reptiles Online in the whole USA? We are providing Buy Reptile Pets Online with Fast Shipping, Best online reptile store,Best Boa snakes online sites, Radiated Tortoise for sale in US,Buy Radiated Tortoise for sale in US, where to buy Radiated Tortoise, Best sites for Radiated Tortoise,Order Three-toed Box Turtle,Buy three toed box turtle Online, Buy three toed box turtle For sale, Where to buy three toed box turtle, Buy three toed box turtle in US, Best three-toed box turtle Online sites,Buy Yellow ball python,Buy Yellow ball python Online, Order Yellow ball python Online, Best Yellow ball python Online sites,Order russian tortoise, Buy russian tortoise Online,russian tortoise, Order russian tortoise Online For sale, russian tortoise For sale, russian tortoise For free Shipping, Where to buy Rock Tuna Online, How to buy Rock Tuna Online, Order Pink Rockstar Online in the world with the well price and our services are very fast.

    Click here href=" https://us-reptiles.com/ "> title=”US-Reptiles - Reptiles for sale | Buy Reptiles Online"
    MORE DETAILS......
    Contact us at:
    WhatsApp us at: (916) 243-6933
    Email: info@us-reptiles.com





    ReplyDelete

More Articles